The United Kingdom has a high number of people with dementia. More than half of long-term care residents have dementia. Candidates trained specifically in dementia care have been shown to provide a better quality of life for people in residential and domiciliary care.
This three hour training session focuses on developing dementia care skills. The course aims to:
- Identify the various types of dementia
- Explore Person Centred Care
- Show how to encourage independence
- Show how communication is affected
- Show how nutrition & exercise play their part
- Demonstrate ways to keep people safe
- Encourage changes in lifestyle
- Provide strategies for coping with changed behaviour
Those involved in the training are also taught to be aware of some of the symptoms that are mistaken for early onset dementia. The course is also suitable for relatives involved in the care of family members.